Dark Skies - A Practical Guide to Astrotourism | Lonely Planet
Tax included. Shipping calculated at checkout.
- $10 Flat rate shipping or free on orders over $120*
- Carbon Neutral Delivery
- Click and Collect Available from our Geelong store (17a Rutland St, Newtown)
Dark Skies by Lonely Planet
Witnessing the sweep of the Milky Way, the remains of comets burning up in our atmosphere, or the shimmering aurora, we better understand the universe and our place in it
- The first world’s guide to astrotourism, can help you experience all of this and more first-hand
- Meticulously researched by dark sky expert Valerie Stimac, this comprehensive companion includes guides to 35 dark-sky sites and national parks, where to see the aurora, the next decade of total solar eclipses and how to view rocket launches, plus the lowdown on commercial space flight, observatories and meteor showers.
- Divided into sections to help you plan your dark sky tour:
- Stargazing focuses on the basics of appreciating the dark sky, with an overview on how to stargaze and what types of objects to look for, as well as tips for the urban stargazer.
- Dark Places is devoted to 35 of the best places around the globe for stargazing and experiencing the night sky, including sites designated by the Dark Sky Association
- Astronomy in Action features some of the world’s top research facilities and observatories,where you can get a closer look at space science. Meteor Showers has everything you need to know about the most consistent and impressive meteor showers that happen annually
- Aurora is divided into two parts, one focusing on the aurora borealis in the northern hemisphere and the other on the aurora australis in the southern hemisphere. Eclipses follows the schedule of total solar eclipses over the next decade. If you’ve never experienced totality, here is your definitive guide to planning your trip. Launches helps you experience a different side of astrotourism: rocket launches and the countries that allow you to travel to see them. Space Tourism discusses the future of humans in space – including you! The major players in the evolving space tourism market are detailed, plus the world’s most common destinations and experiences
- 288 Pages
- See the entire range of books, puzzles and games here